Software Engineer Principal - Salesforce
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
$86,172 - $148,650
The Software Engineer Principal is responsible for joining a product team and contributing to the software design, software development, and overall product lifecycle for a product that our users love. The engineering process is highly collaborative. In addition to pairing, Software Engineer Principals field questions from other product teams and encourage cross-team collaboration. They also play an active role working with 3rd party vendors as well as the open-source community.
Software Engineer Principals create foundational code elements that can be reused as well as architectural diagrams and other product-related documentation. They also define service level objectives for products. In addition, Software Engineer Principals may be involved in product configuration, performance tuning and testing as well as production monitoring.
As a Software Engineer Principal, you will be an extremely knowledgeable Engineer on the product team and are expected to build and grow the skillsets of the more junior engineers. There is also an expectation that the Software Engineer Principal will demonstrate expertise around modern software design and development.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities & Key Accountabilities:
70% - Delivery & Execution
Collaborates and pairs with other product team members (UX, engineering, and product management) to create secure, reliable, scalable software solutions
Documents, reviews and ensures that all quality and change control standards are met
Writes custom code or scripts to automate infrastructure, monitoring services, and test cases
Writes custom code or scripts to do "destructive testing" to ensure adequate resiliency in production
Creates meaningful dashboards, logging, alerting, and responses to ensure that issues are captured and addressed proactively
Contributes to enterprise-wide tools to drive destructive testing, automation, or engineering empowerment
Identifies product enhancements (client-facing or technical) to create a better experience for the end users
Identifies unsecured code areas and implements fixes as they are discovered with or without tooling
Identifies, implements, and shares technical solutions that can be used across the organization
Creates and architects foundational code elements that can be reused many times by a product
Creates meaningful architecture diagrams and other documentation needed for security reviews or other interested parties
Defines Service Level Objectives for product to constantly measure their reliability in production and help prioritize backlog work
20% - Support & Enablement:
Fields questions from other product teams or support teams
Monitors tools and participates in conversations to encourage collaboration across product teams
Provides application support for software running in production
Proactively monitors production Service Level Objectives for products
Works with vendors and the open-source community to help identify and implement feature enhancements in software products
Works with other product teams to create API specifications and contracts for shared data
Proactively reviews the performance and capacity of all aspects of production: code, infrastructure, data, and message processing
Triages high priority issues and outages as they arise
10% - Learning:
Participates in and leads learning activities around modern software design and development core practices (communities of practice)
Learns, through reading, tutorials, and videos, new technologies and best practices being used within other technology organizations
Attends conferences and learns how to apply new technologies where appropriate
Nature and Scope:
Typically reports to the Software Engineer Manager or Sr. Manager, Technology Director or Sr. Director.
Environmental Job Requirements:
1. Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
Mastery of an object oriented programming language (preferably Java)
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience:
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- 6-8 years of relevant work experience
- Mastery of a modern scripting language (preferably Python)
- Mastery of a modern web application framework such as Ruby on Rails, Spring MVC, and Node.js
- Mastery of writing SQL queries against a relational database
- Mastery of a version control systems (preferably Git)
- Proficient in a Linux or Unix based environment
- Proficient in a CI/CD toolchain
- Proficient in destructive testing methodologies and tools
- Proficient in a cloud computing platform and the associated automation patterns they provide
- Proficient in production systems design including High Availability, Disaster Recovery, Performance, Efficiency, and Security
- Proficient in defensive coding practices and patterns for high-availability
- Proficient in modern microservice-based architectures and methodologies
- Proficient in successful application of design patterns
- Proficient in test-driven development and effective unit test creation
- Proficient in a NoSQL database
- Proficient in query optimization and troubleshooting
- Proficient in effective data modeling within both SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience in working with 12-factor methodology and understanding its benefits, and able to demonstrate appropriate patterns to more junior team members
- Proficient in designing and implementing RESTful web services
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm
- Business Insight: Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals
- Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Cultivates Innovation: Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Global Perspective: Taking a broad view when approaching issues; using a global lens
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
- Manages Ambiguity: Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear
- Manages Complexity: Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Nimble Learning: Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder
- Optimizes Work Processes: Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement
- Self-Development: Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels
- Situational Adaptability: Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations
Pay Rate: -
The Home Depot